Approximately 277 people are looking for land in the South Somerset District, and latent demand could double this number. So what can you do to get growing right now? This page aims to compile the latest opportunities and resources across South Somerset
Where you can get your hands dirty...
- Tinkers Bubble is a small woodland community in Norton sub Hamdon that uses environmentally sound methods of working the land without fossil fuels. Their pastures, orchards, and gardens are organically certified, and no-dig methods are commonly used. They welcome local volunteers but do need notice. FFI: email@example.com
- Diggers Field is a new Allotment Society near Langport. All their 26 allotments are let but they do have ones coming available occasionally, they also have events such as hedge laying & tree planting that people are welcome to get involved with. FFI: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also buy local produce from Elderflowers Food Cooperative every Friday in Langport, FFI: Val Saunders on 01458 253224
- Brook End is a 4-acre family smallholding in Compton Dundon that is run on permaculture principles. They are unable to take volunteers at present but do host events & courses around sustainable food production. FFI: email@example.com
- Turners Field is a small group of growers in Compton Dundon who grow and share fruit and vegetables while also growing group connections. They have space for and welcome new members. FFI: http://www.ecoroundtable.co.uk
East Lambrook Manor Gardens in South Petherton run a volunteer programme in exchange for learning about the famous listed cottage garden & free entry year round. FFI: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lydford Forest Garden, West Lydford is a community forest garden that was created by Lydford Community Group in response to Local Agenda 21 issues. They have a 'Friends of Lydford Forest Garden' for people interested in getting involved. FFI: email@example.com
The Balsam Centre aims to support the health and wellbeing of people living in Wincanton and the rural area and settlements around it. There are a range of opportunities for people to grow food, learn gardening skills and be part of a thriving community group. They welcome volunteers. FFI: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lytes Cary Community Allotments at the National Trust are all currently taken but do have 2 dedicated plots for community use and have opportunities for people to get involved such as workshops & seed swaps. FFI: 01458 22471
- Milford Community Garden is located at the St Mark's Church garden in the heart of the Milford neighbourhood in Yeovil. This new garden offers individual, family & community plot, a communal herb garden, seating, flower garden & more. The plots are now lot but there are always opportunities to get involved. FFI: email@example.com
- Vanessa Project: Is an award winning community allotment run by mental health charity South Somerset Mind. They welcome volunteers & for local people to become involved. FFI: Alison.Hayward@southsomersetmind.co.uk
- The Magdalen Project, is an environmental education centre in the heart of a 132 acre farm near Chard. They have loads of courses & opportunities to volunteer. FFI: http://www.themagdalenproject.org.uk
- Barrington Court: Barrington Court near Ilminster is a National Trust property with extensive gardens, including a kitchen garden. They welcome volunteers & have regular food-related events, such as Apple days. FFI: 01460 241938
Projects across the district
- South Somerset Orchards Project is designed to support existing & establish new orchards across the district. FFI: Orchard Project Officer, Ann Langdon from FWAG South West firstname.lastname@example.org or 01749 676052.
- Schools across the South Somerset district also have growing projects. If they don’t perhaps you can support them to start one?
Get more active for Community Food...
Organising with a others as part of a local group is one of the most effective things you can do to work for sustainable foo. If you don’t have one, why not start one?
Active Groups in South Somerset
- Transition Yeovil FFI: email@example.com