Why conferences and gatherings?
County-wide, regional and national events can be incredibly powerful - they bring together people with shared interests and passions, support the exchange of knowledge and information, and above all, inspire us to keep going!
They can more often than not take a huge amount of energy to organise, which is why its important to think about the advantages and disadvantages before going for it:
- Can bring together lots of people at once. Faster exchange of:
- There is a 'buzz' at a big event that smaller events may not have
- Being larger, events may attract more public attention and may carry more kudos which can support with publicity and outreach
- Conferences & Gatherings are likely to 'gather in' people from diverse areas, geographically and politically, creating a more potent mix of people
- Cost - venues for larger groups of people are more expensive, all other costs will also increase such as refreshments, lunch and so forth
- Energy input - it can take a lot of energy to fill a hundred seats at an event for example! More effort is required in marketing, planning, communicating and organising logistics
- Intimacy - larger events can be stressful and intimidating for some people to endure. Sometimes a smaller gathering can be more effective.
Organising a Conference or Gathering
Once again, we would recommend following our event checklist, that you can find here.
For each of the points it may be worth extending them - for example for a national event, a longer timeframe is essential.
Further resources & links
- Open Space - a way of facilitating to encourage full participation & productive conversations