Forum

Mini community garden in Watchet

Started by charles birch. Last reply by Mrs Susan Calvo Oct 12, 2016. 1 Reply

On the 14th. of march we set up a very small veg. bed. see U tube" admirals corner incredidible edible"on the17th. of June we harvested the potatoes. they were first 'Earlies' and made just over 21…Continue

job opportuntiy

Started by Alison Hayward. Last reply by Alison Hayward May 30, 2015. 1 Reply

South somerset Mind (Yeovil) is looking for a horticultural therapist for the Vanessa project.The role is paid for 6 hours a week at £10 per hour.  Please phone Gill on 01935 474875 for further…Continue

Tags: therapy, horticultural, work, job

Surplus Produce

Started by David Croxton. Last reply by Caroline Lewis Sep 25, 2014. 10 Replies

As part of our InQEDible Edible Project, and as a member of the Incredible Edible Network, we are not only looking to grow crops on spare land in our local communities, but also to persuade our local…Continue

Tags: gardens, fruit, community, Quantocks, poverty

Meeting and Open day at The Ivythorn Project

Started by Karen Chard May 17, 2014. 0 Replies

We are holding a meeting on Thursday 22 May for anyone interested in joining the project 7-8pm at 29 Ivythorn Road, Street.  On Saturday we are going to have an informal open day where people can…Continue

As part of our InQEDible Edible Project, and as a member of the Incredible Edible Network, we are not only looking to grow crops on spare land in our local communities, but also to persuade our local gardeners to let us have any surplus produce once they have looked after friends and family.
These surpluses are all going to help less fortunate families in our community via Family Support Workers, and any over going to local FoodBanks that will take fresh food crops.
In addition, we are working closely with FareShare (www.fareshare.org.uk) to encourage local growers and processors to donate their outgrades, misshapes etc
We will arrange collection and also need volunteers to help with tending an increasing number of gardens and plots in West Somerset and the Quantocks area. Please email David at Quantock Eco (www.quantockeco.org.uk) or via IE Somerset.
Also on Twitter via TWUBS.com #quantockeco

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi David

Have you any space for 5 apple trees, currently growing well in large pots, where they can be of community benefit? They are Devon/Cornish dessert varieties that I grafted in 2012. I'm based in Minehead and they need to find a permanent home.  Carol

Hi Carol,
I am sure we can, and I think I have an ideal site. Can you give me a day or two to sort it out? Thanks for thinking of us, and much of the eventual produce could be directed into The Food Cupboard, so we can keep the benefit, local
Hi Carol,
Do you have the variety names or know if they are self pollinating. Please assume that we can place these well, so put my name on them. How quickly do you want them moved?

Hi David 

The apples I think are on rootstock MM106 semi dwarfing, suitable for medium to large gardens or community orchards. They're ready now, in large pots- will need a van/ estate car or trailer to transport I think.

1 x Cornish Aromatic: flowering group 4, self-sterile. Late season dessert/eater.

1 x Pendragon: A dessert/cooker/cider. Small red apples and red flesh, red stems and reddish leaves and dark pink blossom making a very attractive tree. Flower group 2; fruiting early to mid season;  the healthiest apple according to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6151010/800-year-old-a...

1 x Adams Pearmain: flowering group 3. It is self-sterile and needs a pollination partner nearby. See choice of pollinators at http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1001;  'Pear-flavoured'

1 x Ashmeads Kernel: flowering group 4. It is a triploid variety and needs two pollination partners nearby which must both be of different varieties and able to cross-pollinate each other as well as the Ashmead's Kernel. Alternatively choose a single self-fertile pollination partner, or a crab apple. See http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1004 for pollination partners

1 x Newton Wonder: Pick: Late-season; Flowering group: 4; Uses: Cookery. A high quality late-season English cooking apple from the Victoria era.

Thanks Carol, this is most helpful and interesting. I will come back to you shortly.

David

Have you heard of the Gleaning Network?  http://www.feeding5k.org/gleaning.php

Also you mentioned food banks - does your local banks accept fresh veg & fruit?

I thought they were not allowed to?

best wishes Richard 

Hi Carol,

Good news!

I have been given permission to plant these on a public site owned by Williton Parish Council, so if you would give me a time when and how I can contact you, I can tell you more. Thanks. I hope you still have them available.

Kind Regards David

Hi David,

I have recently posted out to this site about a food surplus resource I am working upon, it would be great to catch up on the good work in West Somerset...what's the best way to communicate with you?

With thanks, Caroline

Hi,
I can be reached on email or mobile, Facebook or Twitter. And would be interested to learn more. Thanks for your interest.

I have sent a message to you inbox, not sure if you received notifications of this ?? Thanks, Caroline

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Somerset Community Food.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service